Welcome to Metrolina Greenhouses!
We are happy that you have stopped by our site to find out more about our exciting company and our beautiful plants. Our commitment to superior quality and service is but one of the many contributing factors that has made us an award winning industry leader. We hope that you will enjoy your plants as much as we enjoy growing them! Although we do not sell directly to the public you can use our Store Locator to find the locations closest to you that have Metrolina Greenhouses plants for sale.
Metrolina Greenhouses is a family-owned, wholesale plant and services company that started business in April 1972. We are the largest single-site heated greenhouse in the United States at 162 acres under roof. If you are familiar with the Charlotte region you could note that our size is comparable to 4 Concord Mills Malls which could fit inside the greenhouse! In addition we have approximately 30 acres of outdoor growing space and are still expanding.
Metrolina Greenhouses is one of the most automated greenhouses in the United States and has many internally designed machines from automatic plant transplanters to mechanical shipping belts. We employ 625 people year round, and 200 additional people in the spring and fall peaks. We ship to Big Box Retailers, Mass Merchandisers, Home Improvement Chains and other greenhouses along the East Coast. Our product typically stays within a 500 mile radius of the greenhouse, but that puts us in most states on the East Coast. During our peak season (March-June) we ship over 150 trailer loads of product a day!
Other Noted Facts:
- We use up to 700,000 gallons of water every day.
- For every 1 inch of rain that falls on the greenhouse, our roof and pond system allow us to collect and store 3 million gallons of water in 25 acres of retention ponds. This allows us to use recycled/recaptured water on all of our crops.
- All the air in the greenhouse is exchanged every minute during the summer months for cooling due to our unique open-roof greenhouse design.
- 75% of the greenhouse is cooled using passive “MX” style ventilation (our famous open roof system!)
- We use 7 tractor trailer loads of sustainably harvested Canadian Sphagnum peat moss each week (because our plants are grown in a sphagnum peat moss based mix).
- We heat the greenhouse during the cooler months with biomass fuel via our wood-driven boilers. We produce over 2 billion BTU’s of heat while being environmentally friendly.
- We produce 90,000,000 Seedling and Cutting plugs which in turn produce:
- 5,000,000 Hardy Mums
- 4,000,000 Summer Annuals
- 2,800,000 Hanging Baskets
- 3,000,000 Poinsettias
- 1,200,000 Bedding Plant Flats
Wednesday, 03/18/2014 8:00AM-3:00PM
Huntersville United Methodist Church.
14005 Stumptown Road Huntersville, NC 28078
Customer Driven Staffing (704) 523-4141
- One work location * Seasonal Employment- Opportunities for long- term employment available!
- 1st Shift 7:00a - 4:00p
- 2nd Shift 4:00p - 1:00a
- 3rd Shift 10:00p - 7:00a
- Split Shifts available
- SOME WEEKEND WORK REQUIRED
- Jobs start from $9.50-$10.00 per hour PLUS OVERTIME
We have 100's of positions available! Please joins us at the job fair and become a part of the CDS/Metrolina team for our 2014 season.
All jobs are production based, and require the ability to perform physical labor. This includes, but is not limited to: repetitive lifting, constant standing, bending, squatting, kneeling, and twisting of the upper body. You will be working with live plants and flowers in a very large industrial greenhouse.
We will start accepting applications at the Greenhouse (HR Office) beginning on March 19th, Monday-Friday from 8:00 am- 3:00 pm.
Questions? Call CDStaffing at (704) 523-4141, ask about Metrolina!